Navigating Respiratory Syncytial Virus
Village Emergency Centers provides Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) relief in the Houston, TX area. Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) is a common respiratory virus that can cause mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover from the virus within one to two weeks, but it can be especially difficult for infants and older adults. The virus can even lead to more serious conditions like bronchiolitis and pneumonia. Understanding RSV and recognizing its symptoms early can help you make informed decisions about seeking emergency care. Whether you’re dealing with RSV in babies or adults, our 24-hour emergency clinic can handle it all.
Learn When to Seek Emergency Care for RSV
Like any virus, RSV can range from mild to severe. One of the most dangerous things about RSV is that it can evolve into severe lung and respiratory issues. Be extra mindful of babies and older adults when considering emergency care for RSV. If you or your loved one are exhibiting severe RSV symptoms or if the symptoms are getting worse, it’s time to seek urgent care. Signs your illness is bad enough for emergency care include:
- Severe Cough
- High Fever
- Breathing Difficulties or Rapid Breathing
- Bluish Color Around the Lips, Mouth, or Fingernails
- Chest Pains
- Extreme Fatigue or Lethargy
- Difficulty Feeding or Decreased Appetite in Infants
Our Comprehensive RSV Treatment Options
Because RSV is so dangerous in children and older adults, we make sure to take the symptoms and treatment very seriously. At our emergency rooms, we offer a wide range of RSV treatment options tailored to the patient’s health, age, and the severity of the disease. Under our care, we want to give you good pain management strategies while also getting at the root of your symptoms. Some of the ways we may help you deal with your RSV and RSV symptoms include:
- Monitoring – In our emergency rooms, we closely monitor patients’ vital signs and oxygen levels to see the next best steps.
- Medication – To reduce fever and ease symptoms, we may administer medication. This might be over-the-counter medicine that helps with the fever, runny nose, or sore throat.
- Hydration – Dehydration is a dangerous side effect of RSV. We ensure patients stay hydrated through oral fluids or IV, if necessary.
- Oxygen Therapy – In severe cases, we provide oxygen therapy and nebulizer treatments to assist with breathing.
- Ventilation Support – For patients having extreme difficulty breathing, we can provide mechanical ventilation.
- Antiviral Medication – This is reserved for high-risk patients and needs to be administered early in the illness.
Shield Yourself From RSV With Good Practices
It’s important to know RSV is very contagious. It can spread through the air via droplets from the mouth. It can live on places like doorknobs, countertops, hands, and clothing, so it’s crucial to take preventive measures. To protect yourself from the virus, we recommend general hygiene tips like washing your hands, avoiding touching your face and cleaning frequently touched surfaces. If you believe you or a loved one has already contracted RSV, some helpful self-care tips you can implement to get better include:
- Rest and Drink Plenty of Fluids
- Use a Humidifier to Help With Breathing
- Use Over-The-Counter Fever Reducers and Pain Relievers as Needed
- Stop the Spread by Avoiding Close Contact
Know the Difference Between RSV and COVID-19
Many patients often confuse the symptoms of RSV and COVID-19 due to the similarities between the two. They are both respiratory illnesses that are highly contagious. In minor cases, RSV brings symptoms like runny nose, cough, and fever. While these symptoms are also common in COVID-19, RSV may present itself in more severe forms like pneumonia and bronchiolitis. Some symptoms that are also more common in RSV compared to COVID-19 are appetite loss, sneezing, and irritability. On the other hand, COVID-19 often causes loss of taste or smell. RSV can also lead to various long-term effects, such as:
- Decreased Lung Function
- Serious Infections Like Bronchiolitis and Pneumonia
- Risk of Asthma
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Get Better With Our Emergency Clinic
At Village Emergency Centers, we understand how scary it can be when you or a loved one is experiencing severe symptoms of RSV. That’s why our 24-hour emergency clinics across Houston, TX, offer comprehensive RSV treatment options. Our experienced and compassionate staff uses all the most cutting-edge equipment to make you feel at ease in these times of distress. We accept most major insurance and have affordable self-pay options. You can come visit us at:
Take Action Toward Your Health and Well-Being Today
We’re not just about treating illnesses at Village Emergency Centers in the Houston, TX area. We’re about nurturing good health and preserving life’s precious moments. We know that RSV can be frightening, especially when it affects our most vulnerable loved ones. That’s why we’re dedicated to providing compassionate, effective, and swift treatment 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Every moment matters when dealing with a severe virus-like RSV. Don’t hesitate to turn to us in your hour of need, and reach out to one of our clinics today.
Why Village Emergency Centers?
Village Emergency Centers are open day and night with highly trained medical experts ready to serve your emergency needs. With no wait time, fair and transparent billing practices, and advanced medical equipment, we have everything needed to diagnose and properly treat our patients. Check-in online or walk into one of our Greater Houston locations in River Oaks, Jersey Village, Katy, and Clear Creek.